Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Art 235 Final Blog Post



            I have never had the opportunity to learn about the history of art prior to this class; I was and still am excited to learn more about it. There is so much information out there; I have truly enjoyed learning about all of the different eras, cultures, and types of art.
 I would have to say that the earliest findings are what I found particularly interesting. The prehistoric – Stone age period is unique visually as well as historically. It fascinates me how works of art that are thousands of years old still remain in tact. Cave paintings in particular captivated my interest right away. As simplistic as they seem to most, they touch me in a special way.  Artists are special in the way that they are set apart and different from the average person.  They internalize, see, hear, and touch the world in a completely different way.  To be able to have the gift of expression through the works of ones hands is an amazing gift.  I find it interesting that the cave art was done in dark caves with only the flickering light of a lamp. These artists must have been very patient, and determined, not to mention they must have had great eye sight. I think it is really neat how people also used representational objects to tell a story and help others learn.  The BIRD-HEADED MAN WITH BISON within the Lascaux cave tells a story of a man who is probably a hunter who was telling a tale about how he hunted, or how to hunt.  The figures are so simplistic, especially the man who is portrayed as a stick figure. I found it interesting to learn about the different kinds of poses that artists used. The composite pose for example was used during this prehistoric time period. The images that are portrayed seem so elementary or better yet abstract compared to most present day artwork.
            Cave painting is very interesting; however I really liked learning about the cave sculptures. Being able to see pictures of these works within the text book is fascinating. I especially like the sculpture of the Bison within the cave in Le Tuc d’Audoubert, France. I think it is really cool how some of the shapes were modeled, as well as carved and engraved. The footprints of the artist(s) which surround the piece are really intriguing.
            Architecture is another artistic interest of mine. My family’s history lies within England; I love castles, and I found the picture of the Dover castle to be absolutely breath taking. The cathedrals that we looked at were also very interesting to me.  I especially enjoyed learning about the Medieval era and the "Doors of Bishop Bernard" panels. I enjoyed how they told stories from the Old Testament and the New Testament, because I am not a religious person, they were very informative and enlightening.  I especially liked the panels which showed the temptation and fall of mankind, which was done by portraying Adam and Eve sinning in the Garden of Eden.  The next panel showed the crucifixion of Christ, where he was left to die on the cross for the salvation of mankind. I like how these panels were done in chronological order, and I really appreciated the different levels of relief which they were carved. In all honesty I have learned so much from this class, I have a new appreciation and respect for art, artists and art historians.

5 comments:

  1. Sounds like you enjoyed works of art from all different periods! I also like thinking about the artists who painted in caves (which is why I like to see the handprints at Pech-Merle cave).

    Several people in this class (who have mentioned that they don't have a religious background or affiliation) are drawn to some of the Christian art that we have studied recently. I'm glad that you find the Hildesheim doors to be interesting and enlightening. I think that's one of the beautiful things about art - it an appeal and inspire people, even if those people don't have a religious connection with the subject matter.

    I enjoyed having you in my class this quarter!

    -Prof. Bowen

    ReplyDelete
  2. What I think is interesting about a History class in comparison with this class is that a History book might use the same images that we are studying yet give no credit or thought about the artist who created them. History also speculates about what the images mean and gives an interpretation of some kind but images are only tools to use for this result. I'm not sure why History is taken more seriously than Art History- maybe just because it's more boring. By "boring" I mean more cerebral and less visual.
    Religion from all eras and cultures has always been a major source of inspiration for artists. Though some of the art we studied was made so long ago that we don't know its purpose much of it probably had a religious function.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am with you on the cave/prehistoric art, it is so incredible to see something so ancient still intact and to think that someone had developed and implemented their ideas so very long ago. It is really amazing! I agree that artists are set apart, I think one thing that sets them apart is not only their ability to visualize but their drive to actualize their vision, and preserve it through art. I was really taken away by the prehistoric sculpture, the time and precision people were able to invest is really fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too really enjoyed learning about The Doors of Bishop Bernard. I have little knowledge in any kind of religion so I found this to be historically interesting. I think that the relation from the old to the new testament made the doors even more interesting because each scene, side by side, has something in common. I also agree with you that the cave carvings are very interesting. I can't imagine how they maneuvered themselves to create such interesting carvings in the caves.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was enjoyable leaning about prehistoric art. This art is sort of like the first evidence of human life. Its neat seeing that animals were their main focus point in their cave drawings. I like that you pointed out that they must have good eye sight to see in the caves. I too wondered how they painted in an area where there is no light.

    ReplyDelete